Friday 5 February 2010

Preliminary Task
Over the course of two weeks I worked in a group of three people where we produced our preliminary task. When engaging in this task I learnt how to use a camera first hand. I learnt what all the different functions on the camera did and how they manipulated the outcome of the final video, for example how to white balance. I also learnt how to edit the video on the computers.

When filming in this task we used a variety of basic shots such as:

Establishing shot
Panning (following the character in a scene)
Over the shoulder shot
Close up
Long shot
Medium shot

When filming you still have to keep editing very much in mind. For instance when beginning and ending a scene you have to wait three seconds before the character can start moving. As a result of this when one comes to edit it is easy to make quick and accurate cuts between shots.

Within the Preliminary I filmed the opening scene and the cuts from when the first door is opened. When doing this I had to pan the camera whilst following the character and use a long shot to establish the scene and the identity of the character. I also edited most of the opening scene; this included the opening of both doors where we used quick cuts to and from different points of view to show the character opening the door.

Editing the preliminary task was very helpful because it meant I could become aware of the different editing software on the computer. Therefore when editing my opening sequence to the thriller I can use special affects to enhance the quality of the final video produced.



The preliminary task also helped our group ponder different ideas for our opening to our thriller. We liked the idea of using the lighting to make shadows on a wall or floor which we could film; this therefore would make a scene feel tense and suspicious which is what our group is aiming for in our thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment